About Our Chapter
Links of Interest
- State CNPS Home Page http://www.cnps.org. - covers all CNPS activities and has a wealth of information and links plus CNPS membership application.
- Nature in the City - new website in SF whose focus is people and nature in the urban environment - well organized, extensive information and links.
- San Francisco Natural Areas Program Volunteer Sites - http://sfnaturalareas.org/sites)
- California Invasive Plant Council (CAL-IPC) - http://www.cal-ipc.org)
- CNPS Inventory of Rare and Endangered Plants http://cnps.web.aplus.net/cgi-bin/inv/inventory.cgi
- Take Action http://www.capitolconnect.com/audubon - an excellent page on the National Audubon Society's web site that covers current environmental issues and pending legislation. It also contains information on the legislative process and how to communicate with members of congress and state legislators.
- Native Habitats http://www.NativeHabitats.org - a well organized reference web site with hundreds of links and addresses of organizations concerned with the environment, habitat restoration, invasive exotics, volunteer projects etc.
- Gardening With Natives http://www.gardeningwithnatives.com - An off-shoot of the Sta. Clara Valley CNPS Chapter. Lots of information and resources including page of native plant nurseries in the SF Bay Area.
- SF Natural Areas http://www.sfnaturalareas.org - This site is for, by, and about the volunteers who work to preserve and protect the remnant habitats within San Francisco.
Local CNPS Chapters
- Blazing Star, Santa Clara Valley Chapter CNPS http://www.stanford.edu/~rawlings/blazcon.htm
- East Bay chapter, CNPS http://www.ebcnps.org
- Marin Chapter, CNPS http://www.marin.edu/cnps
- Milo Baker, Sonoma County Chapter, CNPS http://www.cnpsmb.org/
- Willis L. Jepson, Solano County Chapter, CNPS http://www.cnpsjepsonchapter.org
- Yerba Buena Chapter CNPS - Board of Directors, e-mail links, committee chairs.
Local Conservation Organizations
- Golden Gate Biosphere Preserve, GGBP - http://www.nps.gov/ggbr/ggbr.htm - Links to Bay Area GGBP affiliates (natural areas, sanctuaries, preserves)
- Santa Cruz Mountains Bioregional Council http://www.scmbc.net which includes San Francisco, San Mateo and Santa Cruz counties and the western part of Santa Clara County
- Green Belt Alliance - http://www.greenbelt.org - Bay Area's leading land conservation and urban planning non-profit dedicated to protecting open space. Wide range of activities.
- The Jepson Herbarium Public Programs - http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/jepwkshp.html UC Berkeley's herbarium - workshops and classes on Botanical and Ecological subjects
- Bay Nature Magazine site: - http://baynature.com - Excellent website of the beautiful new magazine dedicated to the "intelligent exploration of the natural places of the SF Bay Area ".
- Nature in the City - http://www.natureinthecity.org - new website in SF whose focus is people and nature in the urban environment - well organized, extensive information and links.
- Neighborhood Parks Council - http://www.sfneighborhoodparks.org - a coalition of over 100 community-based park groups - actively involved in improving and restoring neighborhood parks in SF.
- San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department - http://www.sfgov.org/site/recpark_index.asp
Local Natural Areas
- Golden Gate National Recreation Area, GGNRA - http://www.nps.gov/goga
- Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge- http://desfbay.fws.gov -
- Oak Woodlands in Golden Gate Park - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=314762315016
- Lobos Creek Dunes and Valley, SF Presidio - http://members.aol.com/skkato/LobosIntro.html Nice site, well organized, good photos.
- Edgehill Mountain Open Space Park: - http://www.edgehill.net
- Heron's Head Park, (SF, Hunters Pt.) - http://www.lejyouth.org/prog_hhp.php4 - model wetland restoration and education program.
- San Bruno Mtn. Stewardship Project - http://www.heartofthemountain.com
- Montara Mountain - http://plants.montara.com.
- Friends of Edgewood Natural Preserve - http://www.friendsofedgewood.org/
- San Francisco Botanical Garden - http://www.sfbotanicalgarden.org
Wildflowers - Viewing and Identification
- CalPhotos: Plants - http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/photos/flora - Part of the UC Berkeley digital library - over 29,000 images, easy to search and use, great help in identifying plants.
- Jepson Online Interchange - http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/interchange.html - the latest information on identification, taxonomy, distribution, ecology, and diversity of California vascular plants.
- California Wildflowers, Calif.Academy of Sciences - http://www.calacademy.org/research/botany/wildflow/index.html - Over 350 beautiful photos of native wildflowers with information on each. Well designed, easy to use.
- SF Presidio's 12 Rare Plants - http://www.nps.gov/prsf/nathist1/nathist/rare.htm - good pictures, info. Wildflower Hotlines
- California Wildflower Hotsheet - http://www.calphoto.com/wflower.htm - current updates on where the wildflowers are blooming.
- Vernal Pool Flowers - http://www.sacsplash.org/mather/plants.htm - Beautiful photos and info on vernal pool plants. Part of an excellent watershed education website.
- Wildflowers of the San Francisco Bay Area - http://www.wildflowers-cdrom.com - Glenn Keator's interactive CD-ROM covering 380 flowers. Easy to use key.
- Bay Area Transit Info -
http://www.transitinfo.org - Public transit information for the nine Bay Area counties with links to local transportation agencies.